Friday, July 12, 2013

Improv Woes

As an improviser I've noticed something.  Im wondering if Im the only improviser out there who has this issue or if its wide spread?  Here's the issue:  At one point my close friends and family would come to my shows often.  But now that I perform regularly and have for nearly 6 years, my audience tends to be complete strangers (which is exciting!) I welcome meeting new people at shows and its very exciting, however Improv shows are never the same, so Im curious if there's anyone out there who does improv and has found out the trick to have the same people back over and over again?  I often get the comment "We've seen your show!"  But we are not doing a play, so its not like once you see it once, thats it!  Every show is unique and has a different theme, different actors, different improv games, different suggestions, different audience members/participants, and I could go on and on!

Now I perform two regular shows a month so I don't expect my friends/family to come to every show, just sometimes.  I just wonder if they think that same thing "Oh yeah, been there, done that!"

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  Rude remarks?  Questions?

Just trying to start up a conversation for improvisers

BTW  Here's my improv group:  www.crayonsimprov.com

5 comments:

  1. Repeat buyers. Are they refering others? Are they bringing their friends. Is there any incentive for them coming back? I think the relationship and building that is key and giving them a reason to come back will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough. When you first start, the simple fact that you're "doing improv" is a big deal. When you get to where you're doing regular shows, every show is no longer an "event." It doesn't matter if they miss this one. Another one will come along again.

    You don't want to be that annoying friend who is always annoying their friends to come to a show. That's a great way to lose friends. Those who genuinely enjoyed the show will probably come back, because they understand that it's different each time, and that's exciting to them. The other people simply may not like improv, but since you're their friend, they say things like "I've seen your show," to be polite. Improv isn't for everybody.

    The friends that will come back probably don't have a specific incentive, since there's always going to be another show to go to. Maybe waiting until there's a special show (someone's last show in the group, a special guest, or maybe a set you're recording for entrance into a festival) to invite them is a good idea.

    I would also encourage you to talk to the audiences of strangers that are going, maybe over a beer afterwards (I don't know if your venue has a bar), and making friends with them. Then you'll have some new friends who get it, and are genuinely excited that the show is different every time. They'll be going because they love the art-form and the shows, not because they're doing a friend a favor.

    That's my advice. Take it or leave it. Either way - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input Jamie. Its much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Thanks to you guys, Crayons had a sold out show July 26- We dont usually sell out in the summer. Seems as if Tulsans dont summer in Tulsa :-) We made a big deal about our birthday, served cake and gave out free tickets to the next show. It really made a difference! Thanks guys!!!

    ReplyDelete